Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / reading weld fillet gauges
- - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-28-2008 16:20
alright fellows i have a problem. i have a foreman here that is telling me that i am reading the weld fillet gauge wrong. now i will ask this question to you guys. when you read a fillet gauge do you keep the weld at the lines that come on the gauge or do you go from corner tocorner of the gauge. i am sorry that i dont have a pic to include but i am using the rectangular convex and concave fillet gauge. someone please answer this question before this situation gets out of hand. i told him his welder had excessive weld and he seams to think i am reading the gauge wrong.
Attachment: MasterGage.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-28-2008 16:44
see attached pics.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-28-2008 17:16
For the single arc part of the gauge being shown in the upper picture, the vertical line can be used to measure the horizontal leg.  Be careful with this - I have found some gauges with this line off by more than 1/16".  You can check your own with your tape measure.

The upper edge of the gauge cut-out is measuring the vertical leg.  There is no line for that, the cut out height is made to whatever weld size is stamped on that opart of the gauge.  Most of the gauges I have checked had accurate cut-out sizes.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-28-2008 17:14
Here is a page that may also help. I have run into new inspectors who were not aware that only one edge of the convex gage is used to measure the weld.

http://weldingdata.com/FilletWeldgage.htm

By what code is the weld you speak of "Oversize". That can somoetimes be a hard one to pin down.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin

Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-28-2008 17:48
the code your are working to will give you the limits you are allowed to oversize. must only have requirements for convexity and as related to heat input.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-28-2008 18:02

Here is the instructions that was with my set......Like stated already, just use the cut out vs trying to eyeball the line, and it's pretty hard to mess up. You would be surprised at the number of folks that I've found reading the gages wrong and was trying to tell me we did or didn't have enough weld on something....
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2008 19:54 Edited 01-28-2008 20:00
I believe the sketch supplied with the standard fillet gages can be misleading if you are gaging a fillet weld to what I would refer to as "AWS" requirements. The scribe line should not be used to "measure" a fillet weld. As already mentioned, it is not "calibrated" and is used only as a reference. The vertical distance from the horizontal plane to the tip of the gage is the only portion of the gage that is accurate and should be used to determine if the fillet leg dimension meets the minimum size requirement. The gage would have to be turned so that the base is against the vertical plane to measure the horizontal leg.

The scribe lines on the end used to measure concave fillet welds are for reference as well and should not be used to measure the leg lengths. The concave end of the gage is used to determine if the throat dimension meets the minimum throat dimension for an equivalent isosceles right triangle, it is not intended to be used to gage the leg dimensions.

There are several potential problems in using the scribe lines for gaging welds, one of the more serious problems is with parallax and the other problem being the accuracy of the scribe lines.

The attached sketches are use in my training class and may be useful in using the standard fillet gages more effectively.

As for oversized welds, there are only a couple of welding standard that I am familiar with that address "oversized" fillet welds and both of those only address "small" fillet welds not commonly used for structural applications, i.e., AWS D1.1, D1.5, or other structural welding codes. Oversized fillet welds are definitely not addressed by any of the ASME pressure vessel or piping code that I've worked with. That is not to say the subject of oversized fillet welds cannot be addressed by an in-house welding standard.

I had some trouble opening the attached file because it is "zipped". However, by saving it first and then opening it as a "MSWord" file, it seemed to work and opened up without a problem.

Best regards - Al
Attachment: FilletGageMeasurement.docx (147k)
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 01-28-2008 23:30
I would agree w/ Al, that the most accurate way to use the fillet weld gauges is use only the vertical "tip" of the gauge.  Then to measure the other leg I put the gauge on the other side of the weld to measure the other leg.
I'm left handed and because of that it seems the "line" scribed on the gauge is always facing away from me so I never got in the habit of using it.
It could be perceived that someone might incorrectly think that the weld must touch both edges of the gauge, that is the top tip and the bottom part, but that would be wrong.
Chris
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-29-2008 01:32
eekpod,

I agree with using the tip only, but since you mentioned left-handed, GAL gage has blade fillet gages with markings on both sides.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-29-2008 03:38
I just received three sets of fillet gages from GAL last Thursday. They didn't have markings on both sides. I've been swindled!

Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-29-2008 03:49
you have to order them that way! And more $$$$$
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-29-2008 04:31
With certifications, the V-wac and fillet gage set is around $70.00!

I'm going to have to stop leaving them on the job-sites!

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / reading weld fillet gauges