Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach

MG Bus & Coach based in Belgaum, Karnataka, showcased their new "Dreamz" sleeper coach at the recently concluded BusWorld Expo in Bengaluru. The new coach is based on the Mercedes Benz OH 2441 Multi-Axle chassis.

The coach has contemporary international styling, panoramic large glass area, massive luggage space, robust body super structure and is compliant to AIS-119 regulations. The coach has 40 luxurious berths with very classy interior ambience, premium fittings and LED lighting.

This product is offered through Daimler India Commercial Vehicles (DICV) dealer Autobahn. This dealer had also recently launched their seater coach 'Glider' based on BharatBenz OF 1623 chassis.

Some tech specs of Dreamz:
Overall Length: 14.95m
Overall Width: 2.4m
Wheelbase: 8.32m
Chassis: Mercedes Benz OH 2441 - OM457 six-cylinder, water-cooled, BS IV engine producing 408bhp and 1900nm torque.

Some pictures:
Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8338.jpg

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8356.jpg

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8362.jpg

Interiors:
Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8376.jpg

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8381.jpg

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8386.jpg

The coach has a full sized emergency exit as well - with unhindered exit:

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8384.jpg

The coach has a well laid dash - the driver was quite happy with the placement of the switches as well.
Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8375.jpg

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8405.jpg

The overhead console provided in each berth:
Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8281.jpg

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8274.jpg
The console has switches for a reading lamp, a full length LED strip, has a headphone jack, USB charging port and the AC vent.

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8318.jpg
The body finish is outstanding - I felt it was better finished than the original WrightBus body.

The sales team say they've received quite a lot of enquiries. They've already sold this bus (and a pair for it) to a Kerala based operator.

As I wind up,

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8085.jpg

Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-dsc_8368.jpg

The bus comes with halogen projector head lamps and LED based day running lamps.
binaiks is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:02   #2
BHPian

re: Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach

Wow ! This is just stupendous ! Thank you Mr. Binai for sharing this here. As you rightly pointed out, the glass area for lower berths is also too large, something that we had been wishing from a long time ever since Volvo/Merc/Scania multiaxle sleepers started coming into the market past 5 years or so. It's heartening for me to learn that this gorgeous Mercedes SHD coach is built at my hometown - Belgaum. Happy to see "KA 22" temp. plates on this Merc
vivek95 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 09:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dreamz - a Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
"Dreamz" sleeper coach ... based on the Mercedes Benz OH 2441 Multi-Axle chassis.
Thanks for the comprehensive photoshoot of the coach

Quote:
The coach has a full sized emergency exit as well - with unhindered exit
The raised space near the emergency exit is a good place for small luggage or perhaps a drinking water/coffee-machine/vending machine setup. Wish MG don't offer the option to replace the emergency exit with a double berth - more money for the operator but a huge compromise on safety.

Quote:
The coach has a well laid dash - the driver was quite happy with the placement of the switches as well.
The drive selector switches seem to be placed out of reach of the driver in his/her normal driving position. However, since it's a Torque-converter AT, the driver will need to use the selector only when halting and reversing. Is there a retarder control on the steering column?
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 10:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dreamz - a Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The raised space near the emergency exit is a good place for small luggage or perhaps a drinking water/coffee-machine/vending machine setup. Wish MG don't offer the option to replace the emergency exit with a double berth - more money for the operator but a huge compromise on safety.
MG claims they wouldn't provide the option of having a berth there. However, Given the fact that they've provided AC vents there, makes me a little confused. That raised area could be used as a good utility area, and may be also a place for people to store hand baggage.

Quote:
The drive selector switches seem to be placed out of reach of the driver in his/her normal driving position. However, since it's a Torque-converter AT, the driver will need to use the selector only when halting and reversing. Is there a retarder control on the steering column?

The driver in the photograph is not in his usual driving position. He actually pushed the seat backwards for the photograph to be taken. At his normal sitting position, all the switches are perfectly within reach.
Yes - there is a retarder control on the steering column (right side)
binaiks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 10:45   #5
BHPian

Re: Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach

Wow Looks Amazing!

When compared to other countries, the standard of Sleeper buses in India are very pathetic. We have amazing Semi sleeper buses from Volvo/Scania/Benz now but we are yet to get the drool-worthy and amazing sleeper buses from these companies. There are couple of rare odd ones out but that's it. Hopefully this will be a start. I travelled in such amazing sleeper buses in Vietnam and Cambodia almost 8 years back. There is no reason Indian's cannot afford them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The sales team say they've received quite a lot of enquiries. They've already sold this bus (and a pair for it) to a Kerala based operator.
Well this is no surprise. When it comes to starting a revolution in this segment it has to be a operator from Kerala. I am 99.9% sure it is Kallada travels they are talking about. They started brining Volvo buses, both first gen as well as the Multi Axle ones in India in a big way. There are even reports that Volvo had gifted him (Suresh Kallada) a high end car few years back for the visibility/sales that he brought to Volvo.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 11:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Well this is no surprise. When it comes to starting a revolution in this segment it has to be a operator from Kerala. I am 99.9% sure it is Kallada travels they are talking about. They started brining Volvo buses, both first gen as well as the Multi Axle ones in India in a big way. There are even reports that Volvo had gifted him (Suresh Kallada) a high end car few years back for the visibility/sales that he brought to Volvo.
Well, its 101% confirmed that the first operator is not Kallada. I've received the name of the operator, but not revealing it for now.
binaiks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 15:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see such high quality sleeper buses being built in India. If our highways continue to improve and with buses like this several medium distances up to 800 kms would open up to affordable travel.

Q: Does it have a built-in toilet.
Wonderment: I wonder when our railways will get their basic cleanship in place.
Old 4th September 2018, 21:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Good to see such high quality sleeper buses being built in India. If our highways continue to improve and with buses like this several medium distances up to 800 kms would open up to affordable travel.
We already have buses that do close to 2000kms between Bengaluru and Jodhpur running daily! There is SRS running Volvos and MR Travels running a Leyland AC Sleeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Q: Does it have a built-in toilet.
Wonderment: I wonder when our railways will get their basic cleanship in place.
It doesn't get a toilet. From what I heard, it right now not even an option.
binaiks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 00:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post

Well this is no surprise. When it comes to starting a revolution in this segment it has to be a operator from Kerala. I am 99.9% sure it is Kallada travels they are talking about. They started brining Volvo buses, both first gen as well as the Multi Axle ones in India in a big way
It was Neeta Travels who started the Volvo trend and made them popular.

Regards,

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th September 2018 at 01:24. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
Anwesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 08:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice report there Bins.

I don't understand this trend - increasing the number of headlights. It's a pain to drive on the highway when you have these buses and trucks with some 3-4 pairs of lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesh View Post
It was Neeta Travels who started the Volvo trend and made them popular.
Regards,
Wasn't it puzhekadavil (Are they Kallada now?) who introduced Volvo in Kerala?
Old 5th September 2018, 09:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I don't understand this trend - increasing the number of headlights. It's a pain to drive on the highway when you have these buses and trucks with some 3-4 pairs of lights.
When the number of other morons on the roads increases, the bus/truck drivers need all the illumination they need, to be able to spot them from a distance and take preventive action. Remember, a truck/bus is a sitting duck when there's even a minor incident and the most likely the driver will be badly roughed up. It's an altogether different matter that many of these HCV drivers are inconsiderate when using their headlamps and aux lamps.

Quote:
Wasn't it puzhekadavil (Are they Kallada now?) who introduced Volvo in Kerala?
Puzhekkadavil had a Volvo coach on trial, can't recollect the route. Found a post here (How Volvo changed the way we look at buses and bus travel)
IIRC, it was the KSRTC that started full fledged operations using their own Volvo B7R coaches. The first services were TVM-Palakkad and TVM-Kozhikkode.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 09:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, it was the KSRTC that started full fledged operations using their own Volvo B7R coaches. The first services were TVM-Palakkad and TVM-Kozhikkode.
I remember very well traveling in B7R from KaSRTC from Bangalore to Mumbai (Amber and Orange color) way back in 2003-2004 itself and that was one thrilling ride for the first time ever in a bus that could match speeds of a car on the highway with ease.

So it is for sure that we have had Volvos since more than a decade.

Here's one article that says KaSRTC launched their services in 2002 (Volvo B7R) and the first service was Tirupati - LINK

Quote:
BANGALORE June 20. The Transport Minister, Sageer Ahmed, flagged off a new Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation bus service to Tirupati here on Wednesday. The KSRTC has acquired two Volvo B7R buses to run the service called "Airavatha".

The fare is Rs.225 per seat up to Tirupati. However, for those buying return tickets, the KSRTC is offering a 10 per cent rebate on the fare. Passengers can look forward to an air-conditioned luxury service with piped music to regale them.
When it comes to Mercedes, I also remember a post on Team-BHP itself with a news article and an image of the Mercedes India MD presenting the keys to 3 operators - Neeta, Konduskar and Sharma who were probably the first set of operators to have started the operations with a Mercedes bus apart from Volvo. This was somewhere in the second half of 2009.

So here's something I found while I tried to search the launch news: LINK

Quote:
The company launched its 2-axle buses in India in 2008 and has sold 25 units so far

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th September 2018 at 09:57.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 11:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am little confused over the layout of the berths.

One one side, it is like that of a train, that is, one upper and lower. On the other side, the berth beds seems wider and appear to accommodate up to two people. I am not sure how well this will float. You obviously don't want to be sleeping next to some random person.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 5th September 2018, 11:57   #14
BHPian

The bus and the interiors look really cool.

However, I wonder how safe these buses are. I mean, unlike a train, considering a sudden braking scenario, the rate of deceleration must be very high as these buses are driven (almost always) at their maximum speed on the highways. Unless there is a rule requiring you to sleep with your head towards the rear of the bus, the impact with the partition could easily snap a human neck with hardly any friction preventing you from sliding forward.

Further, the way these buses are flicked around by our Formula Bus drivers, it must be really uncomfortable especially for the passengers trying to sleep on the upper berths. (Unless you are a couple sharing the upper berth of course).
Old 5th September 2018, 11:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am little confused over the layout of the berths.

One one side, it is like that of a train, that is, one upper and lower. On the other side, the berth beds seems wider and appear to accommodate up to two people. I am not sure how well this will float. You obviously don't want to be sleeping next to some random person.

Thanks for sharing.
The berths on the right side are double berths. Thats now normal Sleeper buses are in India. The double berths are preferred by families mostly.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks