Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Sam Sand Dunes Near Jaisalmer in Rajasthan

Visiting the Sam sand dunes near Jaisalmer in Rajasthan was unplanned nor I had any fancy for riding a camel since I have been riding camels, horses, elephants, and other animals including donkeys and buffaloes since childhood. Anyway, I ended up in the in Sam pronounced as sum or some or सम sand dunes to witness the glorious sunset which I was definitely fond of. 

Young kids offer a welcome song for a little tip and I found it to be much a better option than simply doling out money to beggars.

IMG_20210114_164244_1.jpgIMG_20210114_164244_1.jpg

The camel ride was part of the package which included a trip to the sand dunes and the dinner and it turned out to be exciting and different in that the camel moves much smoother and gentler in the sand compared to when it walks on a tar road or concrete that I had experienced earlier.

There was also a dune ride in a Mahindra Major sports jeep that is an open type of military-class jeep and should be taken by those having a very strong back since the jeep runs over very high walls of sand dunes at high speed and suddenly drop down the slope. The size of the dunes can be guessed from the people standing on top of it far away.

Here's another view of the majestic sand dunes at Sam in Rajasthan.

Fortunately, there weren't many tourists on a weekday and late afternoon when I visited so there were still a few places where the wind had created the typical waves one would expect to see on the sand dunes.

Overhead the clouds had also formed a nice even pattern of clouds.

Here's a full view of the sky with the cotton-candy clouds.

By the time it was sunset, the colors turned magical, and it looked like the sky is on fire.

The camel ride, jeep ride, walking with bare feet in the cold sand, the sky view, and the sunset together make the Sam Sand Dunes in Rajasthan a visit definitely worth it and an experience of a lifetime.

Sam Sand Dune Tips 

• The Sam sand dunes are only 40 km from Jaisalmer and on every street of the city are agents who would charge you exorbitantly for the camel safari. So it is better to drive down to Sam and pay a nominal entry fee of INR 50 to the sand dunes and then again there are numerous agents along the roadside who offer the same ride for dirt-cheap prices. I bargained from INR 1500 in  Jaisalmer city to a mere 600 for both camel + open jeep rides + dinner for INR 600.

• There are also numerous restaurants and hotels on the way to Sam from Jaisalmer.

• There are no petrol pumps outside the city on way to Sam so it is advisable to fill up the tank even if the distance is a mere 40 km.

• Carry plenty of water since I felt thirsty even during the mild temperatures of Jan 15, 2021.

Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, India
13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Sam Sand Dunes Near Jaisalmer in Rajasthan

Awesome 😎.

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures from Sam dunes, Jaisalmer. @Tushar_Suradkar 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 2

A city of  Rajputs Jaislmer is a nice city.

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

@Tushar_Suradkar

You're riding on camel ,,oh that's awesome I'm never have this experience ,,in indonesia we don't have camel . How the weather in the sand it's hot ? But looking the sunset soo beautiful . 

Thank you for sharing

Connect Moderator

Hi @Nyainurjanah 

The weather last week was pleasant at 16°C and the sand was cool though this area becomes one of the hottest in the world during summer which is in the month of May.

Level 10

Looks you had a great time there?

Dear friend @Tushar_Suradkar 

Congratulations...

The noon & evening cloud photos are beautiful...

Thanks for the dance video...

🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

Thank you @TravellerG 

It was an unplanned visit that turned out to be surprisingly well 😊

Level 8

It's looking wonderful. @Tushar_Suradkar 

Kunal Gajewar - A Local Guide from India.

Instagram || Twitter 

Connect Moderator