Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Generic User Avatar
- - - - -

How to Test your RAM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

vcpkg Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automatically, as shown below:
    memteststart.png
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    memtestfinished.png

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    memtestfail.png
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! smile.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jellybean_po420

jellybean_po420

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-3186cl and can't figure out how to work the test.

#3 Ayush_ANI

Ayush_ANI

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hay i got this RED warnings Error what is the mean of that?? what should i do now? plz help

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Helper Emeritus
  • 85,296 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

@ Ayush_ANI

Ask in Internal hardware..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 6sixty6six

6sixty6six

Bleepin' Too Sixy

• Members
  • 2,656 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:17 AM

Windows 7, 8 and 10 comes with built in Memory Diagnostic Tool.

https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to-test-your-computers-ram-for-problems/

Edited by 6sixty6, 29 June 2018 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users