clothespin / clothes peg

Natsuna

Japanese / 日本語
Could you take a look at the attachment? What do you call what the image shows?

Attachments

• cccccc.jpg
    cccccc.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,292
  • In BE, it is a clothes-peg; in AE it is clothes-pin. (Hyphens optional, may be one word or two.)

(Crosspost with Blueglaze)

When the context is clear, I normally call them "pegs".
    Where are the pegs? - They're on the shelf over the washing machine.

I don't think I have any other type of "peg" in my house, apart from a few that are fixed to the wall and are for hanging coats and scarves on.

I imagine that AE speakers can't call them simply "pins".

So, I have supplementary questions relating to these regional variants:

No equivalent of a peg basket or a peg doll here. They're often left on the line when not being used.

They're "put on the clothes" to make sure the clothes don't get blown away - there's no exact equivalent of "pegging washing out" either.:) Only "hanging the clothes out to dry".

Last edited:
    Americans simply hang out the wash, or hang clothes on a clothesline. With clothes dryers being so common these days, the sight of laundry hung to dry on a clothesline is getting increasingly rare in much of the US.

I used them as a kid. As the pictures in #7 show, there are 2 types: single-piece and 2-piece-with-metal-spring. As mentioned above, in AE they are never just "pins", and we don't use "pin" or "clothespin" as a verb, we say variations on "hanging clothes up to dry".

I've never seen clothespin dolls used. But when my daughter was young she had "weebles" - small painted toy figures about that size, with no moving parts. Eventually she had more than 100 of them, and could tell you each one's name and its hobbies, etc.

Back