Bulge on Mcintosh / Cornell-Dubilier Can Caps

SudoSpencer

I just replaced the 3 can capacitors on a MAC 1500, and didn't notice until I pulled the 3 that they all appear to have a bulge in them. This bulge I would assume is from leaking capacitors, but they all appear to have the bulge in the same location where the etching is.

My question is this; is this bulge common due to the etching, or is this something I should look out for in future can caps to know it was failing?

The unit was playing sound before I replaced these, so obviously they weren't totally dead.

Nice gear + 50 year old electrolytic caps = just replace them. Not that expensive if you divide the cost over the next 30 years or so.

No advice on the 'bulge', but your pics do have me wishing that there were slightly more attractive can caps available these days.

Mike

Totally worth it to just replace, I guess this is more just curiosity than anything. I might end up ripping it open to find out.

Also, totally agree on the attractiveness of the cans. Half of me wants to pull the CE Manufacturing label off, the other half thinks to leave it since it clearly states "I've been replaced".

Bulging looks like leakage current heating to me. I'd say you got them out just in time before they could explode. Yes, they can and do, it's messy.

I "think" what your seeing is the expanded metal from the stamping being so deep. Most times it's hard to even read the markings but they are all over stamped. The metal gets pushed and it just bulged out as it had no where to go. Either that or the caps did bulge and that is a very weak spot.
I'm with rave on this, just replace them. To nice of a unit to fool around with.

BillWojo

Yep, that's why I pulled and replaced them before I was even aware of them bulging. I think you might have nailed it though @BillWojo I think it was probably the stamping weakening those spots, plus old caps bulging in the weak spot.

The bulge you are seeing is a mechanical deformation caused by the letter stamping process. Some caps have it,some have it worse than others,and some don't have it at all.In any event,at this age,best that you just replaced them.

Back
Top Bottom